Thursday, November 7, 2013

Overnight Egg Drop Soup

My slow cooker has been working overtime this week, for the sole purpose of making my life easier. Chaos hit hard and fast and has not slowed down in weeks, so thank goodness for that little appliance! I have not been able to find a spare minute to blog or even meal plan in a while, and the crock has saved my sanity this week. That and having whole chicken in my freezer. When I have a hard day and I know the next is not going to be any easier, I take a whole chicken out and put it in the microwave to thaw overnight. I know, not the safest way to do it, but it keeps the dog away from it and it thaws a bit more than if I put it in the fridge. It is still half an ice block in the the morning, anyway.

Chicken-y Goodness

In the morning I put the half thawed bird in the crock, set it to high, and let it work its magic for 4 or 5 hours. After it has simmered in its own juices and gotten nice and delicious, I pull it out and debone, leaving all the juices in the cooker. That meat makes casserole or stirfry for that night and the next. The skin, bones, and fatty bits go back into the cooker with the juices, the lid is clamped on, and it gets to simmer on low overnight with some veggie scraps from the freezer. Boom, chicken stock ready in the morning!

I know the idea of chicken stock in the morning is not the most exciting for some people, but when you are trying to warm up and watch your carbs at the same time it is a godsend. It means I get to have egg drop soup all morning!

This picture. It makes me hungry.

It is fatty and rich and warm and in general delicious. Best of all it is easy, and there is always enough stock when using this method to make a big pot of another soup for dinner. It could go in the freezer, too, for later reinvention.

Egg Drop Soup - Single Mug

1 egg
1/2 tsp gluten free soy sauce (I like La Choy)
splash of sriracha (optional)
hot chicken stock

Beat in the egg, soy sauce, and sriracha together in a large coffee mug. Ladle chicken stock over the egg, straight from the pot or slow cooker. The egg will cook in the liquid, and you have a high protein meal ready in an instant!

Pardon me while I go make another mug...

No comments:

Post a Comment