Saturday, October 19, 2013

Baking Hiatus!

I know I am not alone. I have been away, dealing with this thing called real life. Which, by the way, is really starting to cramp my style! Now that things have calmed down a bit (no small thanks to my wonderful Honey Bear), I have buoyed my spirit with baking and work.

Here is what I have been up to besides work:

Cookies! A batch of chocolate chip cookies is in the oven as we speak. After trying the Pillsbury gluten free premade cookie dough in my fridge and ready for late night baking, I decided I needed to make a batch myself. One pan is baking, the rest is in the fridge for cookies on demand! (The Pillsbury ones weren't half bad, by the way, but VERY delicate when warm!)

Tortillas! Thanks again to the Art of Gluten Free Baking, I made flour tortillas. I tweaked the recipe by adding unflavored gelatin with the water to make sure they were strong and flexible, and it worked BEEEEUTIFULLY! My only complaint is the distinct rice-y flavor to the final product. When it comes to biscuits and sweets it is easily ignorable, but it was quite prominent here. Tricky to roll out, but they performed admirably!

CONTAMINATION! Against my better judgement I have been testing the gluten waters again. I have discovered that one meal will have no side effects. Two will give me gas and mild nausea. Three within a week? Full blown bloat, distress, heartburn, the whole works, for days. And the most wretched flatulence you have ever smelled. My husband formally requested that for the health of the family I no longer go off diet. I can't say I disagree!

Recipes! The Girly Q and I finally sat down with all the gluten free magazines that I have gotten over the last six months and picked out the ones we want to try. We collected some good staples! Some cut out sugar cookies to decorate, a standard yellow cake for birthdays, and a doughnut that is very similar to the Yule applesauce doughnuts that Honey Bear used to make for the holidays every year. The fall weekends are going to be full of recipe practice as we all learn to cook again!

No comments:

Post a Comment