Saturday, September 21, 2013

Spanish Eggs - No Sugar, High Protein Breakfast

I have a confession: I don't like sweets. Candy gives me stomach aches, cake just bothers me, and sugar-laden breakfast foods will turn a ravenous me into a me that doesn't want to eat for the rest of the day. When I am presented with a big pile of waffles, I start looking for bacon and eggs to top it instead of syrup and fruit. Fat is my drug of choice!

Still, this can make breakfast a challenge. Bacon and eggs alone gets boring, and potatoes take more time than I have patience for in the morning. Oatmeal, nah, never been a fan, and a belly full of milk and cereal is just unappealing.

I want fast. I want easy. I want fat and protein and FLAVOR in the morning. For my kids I will make a huge pan of scrambled eggs and melt cheddar on top and serve it with corn tortillas. For myself, I kick it up a notch and make what I call Spanish Eggs.

Contrary to the name, they are not Spanish, and they are not nearly as fancy as the name implies. They are an insanely easy, 5 minute breakfast that never gets old and fills me up with good protein and a fair amount of fat, with just enough carbs to kick start my day. Plus, they use up a little of the roast chicken that is pretty much always in my fridge.

I don't have pictures yet (I really need to get a decent camera!), but seeing as how I make this stuff once a week, you won't be left wanting for long. These would also be amazing with some crumbled chorizo in place of the chicken, or some standard breakfast sausage. You can also skip the meat entirely and they are still delicious and filling.

PHOTO UPDATE: Told you you wouldn't have to wait long!


 

Spanish Eggs

1 Tbsp butter
2 eggs
2 Tbsp of your favorite salsa
2 tsp milk
¼ tsp each cumin and oregano
salt and pepper
¼ cup chopped cooked cold chicken
Shredded cheddar
2-3 corn tortillas, warmed on a dry skillet, in the oven, or in the microwave.

      Melt the butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs, salsa, milk, and seasonings in a small bowl and pour them into the pan and sprinkle on the chicken. Let them set a bit while you start your tortillas warming, then stir the eggs and cook them gently for just a minute or two. Once they look almost done to your liking, top them with the cheese, then spoon them into the tortillas.

      Now, you have a warm, melty, savory taco of deliciousness to start your day off right, and look! No sugar!

No comments:

Post a Comment