Monday, September 23, 2013

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

I stopped making cookies ages ago. There seemed to be so many more important things to figure out after the Great Gluten Purge, and safe cookies could be purchased at the store. Try finding a premade gluten free pizza crust that doesn't taste like cardboard or cost an arm and a leg!

Now, fall has fallen and the weather is finally bearable again. My kitchen should smell like cinnamon, and there should be some sort of goodie cooling on my counters about every day. Autumn demands baking, and I wanted cookies.

Since I have no experience creating baked goods from scratch and the thought of trying freaks me out, I went recipe hunting and settled on this one from Free Eats. And, as usual, I tweaked it.
I pretty much threw out the directions and prepared them like a traditional cookie, creaming the butter and sugar, adding the eggs, then the dry goods. My flour blend (from Artof Gluten Free Baking) already has xantham gum in it, so I just added a pinch extra instead of the whole amount. Truthfully, I don't think it needed it.

These things spread, a lot. They taste pretty darn good, even if they don't hold up to milk dunking very well. Crunchy on the outside, more tender in the middle, and not overly sweet. Honestly, they seemed to be missing something, so next time I am going to ditch the vegetable oil and bump the butter up to ½ cup.



Obviously I will be making these again. 24 cookies for 5 people go quickly! Next on the fall baking list: something pumpkin. Probably more cookies!


No comments:

Post a Comment